This is Day 12 of NaBloPoMo, and considering I’m typing this one out on a Saturday evening, I thought I’d keep things light.
The very first website I created on Geocities was titled Mmm… TV Good. This was 1996, if I remember correctly. (HOLY COW! I’ve been publishing on the internets for 20 years!!!) I basically used it like a blog in that it was regularly updated, and I archived my posts in chronological order. I’m not sure whether I saved those files on a hard drive somewhere for historical keeping, but most of my blogging then was about TV.
I was pretty hardcore about my TV watching. I recorded all my shows on the ol’ VCR before DVRs and On Demand and online streaming became the norm. So let’s chat about TV, shall we?
- I’ve seen every episode of Saved by the Bell. The earlier season with Miss Bliss. The high school years. College years. Summer job at the resort. Special wedding episode. I skipped the New Class, though, since it was beyond terrible.
- I didn’t watch Gilmore Girls until my siblings bought me the full set on DVD. It’s been a while since I’ve watched it, but I think maybe it’s time to go back and revisit before the Netflix revival happens.
- MacGuyver has a special place in my heart. My grandpa loved watching it, and I remember it airing right before dinner time. A little bit of duct tape goes a LONG way. If you have engineers in your life, this show seems to be a crowd favorite.
- In college, I had Sex and the City DVD watching parties at my apartment. I bought the whole set as each season came out, and we’d watch a disc at a time (about 3 hours worth of episodes). The “funky spunk” episode is probably my favorite. It’s pretty gut-wrenching too (the Big affair… poor Aidan).
- I stopped watching TV regularly when I lived in California. We didn’t have cable, and our bunny ears were pretty sad. I was in full-on Homestar Runner mode, so it was kind of like watching TV but in smaller bites.
- If there was ever a show that I wished had gotten picked up for more seasons, it’d have to be My So-Called Life. That series finale with Brian revealing he’d been writing Angela the letters… broke my heart.
- Which leads me to Homeland, also starring Claire Danes. The husband and I have been binge watching. We recently started season 4 and have to force ourselves to turn it off so we get some amount of sleep.
- I’m waiting for Mozart in the Jungle to come back on Amazon (December 9!). It’s sweet and nerdy, and I adore Gael Garcia Bernal.
- What’s the word on Game of Thrones? I have a love/hate relationship with that show. There aren’t that many more players in the game to kill off, so I guess it’s a matter of seeing who’s left in the final 2 short seasons.
- And finally, my beloved Outlander. I’m so glad my oldest sisters got me to watch this show because I’m now obsessed with the books and I admire the protagonist Claire and am in deep with my book boyfriend Jamie. King of Men indeed. Mr. Sam Heughan, who plays Jamie on the show, has really embodied the character and is a pretty upstanding guy in real life too. This is probably the only show that I’ve followed the producers and writers and actors on social media and eat up every bit of show prep news. Can’t wait for season 3 to come out in the spring. I clear my schedule for this show!
What are you guys watching these days? Any oldies but goodies?